Tuesday, April 14, 2015


 


 

Right after 9-11, I watched soldiers recommit to the oath they had made when they entered the Army. That day changed everything for them and their families- where they would be stationed, plans for further training, the high schools where their kids graduated, the jobs the spouses had... This did not even compare to the upheaval that came for those who were deployed to Iraq that spring. The men I knew had entered the Army for a lot of reasons, some for college or West Point, others had gotten medical or law degrees. Yet none of them backed away from the promises they had made as the second Gulf War began.  I was amazed at how their families geared up to support them and each other. I later found out that nothing I had learned at that time  prepared me to be on the other side--as the mother of a deployed  Marine.

We hold that we are better for those willing to serve our country even though most of us cannot truly understand what their dedication costs. With their choice they exemplify a list Christian values: to put self behind concern for others, to follow decisions you do not make (from superiors and government), to be dedicated and committed no matter the surprises, to be willing to care for your brothers in arms and even face death if need be. This is what I find missing in Cooke and Macy’s look at the history of ministry in the Christian church. The origin of these positions, how they came about or how biblical they are, is eclipsed by the gift given when people are willing to meet a higher standard and use their talents and lives for the rest of us.

I count myself lucky that I have known so many people in ministry that have touched me with the divine through their concern and example. Many of them are smart and educated to the point that they could be making be drawing large salaries in another line of work. Their life choice separates them, but like the military it is a two edged sword. It brings little pay, hard work that is demanding and can be inconsiderate of their time, and too often a lack of appreciation.

I was awed by my first ordination, just a couple of years ago, a beautiful liturgy and celebration.  I am just as awed by the chance to see how those new priests have put themselves and talents into their ministries. Having grown up with a priest in my family, I know the religious are just human. I want to stay awed by that too—that Christianity works and we all can do better than humanly possible.   That the touch of the divine comes through dedication and commitment, and sometimes a lot of time on our knees….

 

Cooke, Bernard J. and Gary Macy. Christian Symbol and Ritual: An Introduction. Oxford

                New York. 2005. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment