Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Church as a Sacrament


“Stretch, Stretch, Stretch: Standing In the Shadow of Me No More”

All is gift.
The worn, the torn, the forlorn.
The new, the bright, the dull.
Each reflects the other.
Each offers awareness of the other.
Each seeks communion with the other.
Each brings the other and the creator of all to me.
Let us untie what binds; let us weave what heals.
Let us become anew; let us sparkle rewoven.

This is a short poem reflection I recently wrote to accompany an art quilt completed during a workshop at Ashe Cultural Arts Center. I signed up for the program because I was curious about working within a group of women where I would be “the minority”; while all of us were from New Orleans and surrounding areas, Ashe is an art and cultural community based center in Central City that creates and supports programs emphasizing the contributions of people of African descent (http://www.ashecac.org/main/index.php/about-us/mission.html). I am of Irish, French and Acadian descent. I wanted to reach beyond our histories of separateness in our hometown to a common interest of women who enjoyed creating in community with fiber and thread. I was aware of my place in entering the space of another, although the program was open to the public. There were times when the instructor, or more of a facilitator, said things about which I did not agree. I did not respond but recognized that our realities are different; neither is incorrect. I exercised my listening skills rather than my knee-jerk response “unskills.”

This chosen journey of companionship in a neighborhood and community different from my daily life is on my mind as I reflect on the sacramental nature of the Church. We, the people of God; the people of the Church take on that sacramental nature when our humble selves “participate in the distribution of the bread of life to a suffering world that is alienated from God” (Vondey 141). Understand, I did not participate in this program to “distribute the bread of life” to anyone or to seek a suffering world. The women with whom I engaged are not alienated from God. In fact, they often included their Christian worship activities and praises in their conversations and art projects. I am not so outspoken about my faith. I participated to increase my awareness of the way others think and create. I thought of myself as the guest to whom others shared their hospitality. I most value some new acquaintances; that some may develop into friendships. Participating “in the distribution of the bread of life” is done where we are every minute of the day: respectfully sharing concerns and interests; inviting others to come and see the love of God; accepting others’ invitation to join in their community that offers peace and joy; not only accept alone time, but seek solitude or ask another to join in the public prayer of the Liturgy of the Hours that may be “a deed not seen by others” (cf. Mat. 23:1-12); reflect on how do I serve others; what is my motivation?

We may be the external signs of grace that speak to ourselves and others one way or the other of Jesus; the choice is ours to engage with the broken body of Christ: each of us may invite another to the table of bread; to seek encounter with the presence of Christ in the Holy Spirit. The Eucharist is a public display of God’s hospitality, grace and salvation (Vondey 143). Participating in the Liturgy of the Hours, the “’part two’” of the official, public worship of the Catholic Church,” completes the “’sacrifice of praise’ in the name of, and on behalf of, the Church universal” (Sockey 2-3; 66). How easy to forget and difficult to remember “our highest purpose: to recognize and adore our Creator” (70). The daily sequence of prayers keeps our focus on our reliance “for divine assistance with all the needs of the body of Christ” (52).

1 comment: