Monday, March 2, 2015

LAWYER'S WEEK 8 BLOG



Lawyer’s Week 8 Blog:

Reading Chapter 5 of Vondey’s “People of Bread” got my mind reeling on the topic of traditions. Exploration of the topic of traditions within the Church gives me the impression of viewing traditions, whether it is ‘Breaking of the Bread’, ‘Last Supper’, or the ‘Passover’, as though these traditions are overemphasized. I know traditions of a vast variety are commonplace throughout the global community, but, it is so prevalent in the Church until it appears to detract from the deeper meaningfulness of the experience of truly serving God. There is lots of evidence to support my point of view. While I respect and honor the traditions of the Church, I find among the brethren more excitement and interest in traditions as opposed to cultivating the heartfelt passion to serve God in accordance with the teachings and holiness of Gospel of Jesus Christ. Putting all things aside, serving God is not about traditions; it is a matter of one’s commitment to put God first above and beyond any and all other priorities. Even though I believe the Catholic Church is more ceremonial and reliant on traditions, within Christianity it is not just the Catholic Church it is all denominations which prioritize patterns of traditions to the point of traditions becoming overemphasized to the expense of losing sight of the divine purpose of worshiping God. Jesus alluded to this when he told His disciples “I am the bread of life”.  
Humans can continuously interpret and apply their results to the extent to which traditions are honored. My voice is not loud enough or strong enough to stop them. I simply pray for all of my brothers and sisters to make more of an effort to reach out and seek for the emulation of the life of Jesus in our lifetime without being so preoccupied with traditions.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your emphasis on fostering the passion to serve God. Could there be a way that traditions (rituals, ceremonies, acts of worship) would serve to enkindle this passion? In other words, can one feed into the other?
    Blessings, DZSJ

    ReplyDelete