Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Daily Prayer - Learning from each other!



https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a5/79/17/a5791794e67b8d2d35062d37d2112769.jpgThere are times this past semester where I really re-connected with my Catholic roots. I know that my mom is laughing up in Heaven at the irony! There have been times, however, that I have also felt very close to my Baptist heritage as well. The topic of daily prayers is one of those times. Baptists, and other Protestant groups, have been stressing daily quiet time for as long as I can remember. I did not always embrace daily Bible study and prayer time, however. In the mid 1980s, there was a huge push in Protestant circles to have a daily quiet time, but it had to be in the morning to be effective. I had a baby at home and was trying to hold down a full time job as well. I was lucky to pull myself out of bed each morning – adding a quiet time was out of the question. I felt guilty and angry that this was taught as the only or best way. Years later, I was relieved to be given ‘permission’ by a great friend to have my quiet time at any time of the day. I have read the Bible through a couple of times, and really cherish this time alone with God. Sadly, this time tends to get relegated to the sidelines during school when I am having to read for homework instead of for the relationship. This is my problem, and it is helpful for our professors to keep reminding us to set aside time for the relationship.

I appreciate the Liturgy of the Hours, though. Taking a few minutes in the midst of our daily routines or the chaos of life and to worship and connect with God is a great blessing. Too many times we get busy and forget to even think about God unless we need his help for something. How nice it is to just stop and wait in his presence several times a day. I believe the Liturgy of the Hours would also be a great help during those times that are set aside for special prayer or fasting. Looks like both faith groups could learn something from one another – as usual!

1 comment:

  1. 5-Prayer Rhythm, My Spiritual Formation

    The prayer rhythm that I chose to follow throughout this course was such that I would pray at least 5 times a day, at very distinct periods of the day. This did not include short prayers that I may say regularly such as Grace before meals or prayers of thanksgiving. The 5-prayer rhythm that I chosen to pray included (1) a morning prayer, said as soon as I wake up; (2) a prayer during my 45 min commute to work, as I cross Lake Pontchartrain; (3) a prayer during my typical lunch break; (4) another prayer while on my way home from work (or while on my way to class from work) as I cross Lake Pontchartrain; and (5) an evening prayer shortly before I go to sleep for the night. This regular rhythm has enhanced my prayer life and has allowed me to function throughout the day in a more spiritually grounded manner. I find myself thinking deeper about how I interact with other people and whether or not I’m acting in a Christian manner. This rhythm kept me focused and induced an increased habitual behavior of positivity.
    The movement and progression of time in our modern world relates to this form of prayer in that this particular rhythm was set up according to some of the time I have identified as down-time, outside of typical home and work obligations. Taking the time to pray while on my way to and from work as well as during my lunch break, has a great deal to do with my work related obligations. But it has more to do with the time I take within my busy day to set aside just a moment to pray. All of these time periods throughout the day offer quiet times and spaces for me to engage in a meaningful prayer rhythm. Even though this exercise started out as primarily a course exercise, I plan to continue my 5-prayer rhythm and possibly enhance it, by moving to a 7-prayer rhythm. I am also considering adding in the daily mass readings for my morning prayer. This exercise has really strengthened my prayer life and I only hope to continue to increase that growth.

    ReplyDelete