Wednesday, February 20, 2013

What a Week


Hello family, I apologize for the lateness of my posting. I am in my testing or strengthening season, so keep me in your prayers. The main thing that sustains me is the knowledge that God is the same God he has always been in my life. in other words, he has never left or forsaken me in my past, so I know He is with me through it all. I keep the poem, "Footprints in the Sand" in my mind as well, to help me realize that it is not by my might, but by God's that I am able to keep moving forward.

As for the readings, I was greatly moved by Rausch's statement, "In its complexity, the Church is both visible and invisible, one and many, mystical body and visible assembly, united by the Spirit and expressed in structures of sacraments, ecclesiastical government, and communion (cf LG. 8)." In that simple descriptive phrase, one can get a clearer understanding of what Church is supposed to be. As we go through life's journeys, it sometimes becomes confusing to some what  the purpose of going to church at all is about. The Bible states in Hebrews 10:24-25, "And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching" (KJV). Therefore we are all commanded by God to come together, led by the Spirit of God. There was no mention about it just being men. Acts 2:17 let's us know, "And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:" (KJV).

Do I believe women should hold titles, and occupy positions, normally held by men? I'm not completely sold on the idea. I feel that part of the problems plaguing the world today, is people not having an understanding their roles in God's plans for us.

That's why the Rachel Zoll article was kinda sad to me. We as the body of Christ, have got to get past our own agendas, and come together. 2 Chronicles 7:14 states, "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land" (KJV). Pastor Rob Morris did what any person of God was supposed to do in a time such as that. People were hurting, and they needed to not only know about The Lord, but feel God's presence as well. What better way of expressing that, than to show it. It's not as if he went against his beliefs, and decided he was going to denounce his religion to become a Muslim. He availed himself to hurting soles, who didn't all happen to be Lutheran. What do y'all think?

I grow weary when people try to make their own personal agendas, be about religion, or religious doctrines. I'm not saying that this was the case in what happened to Pastor Morris, but it certainly seems as though that's what all of this was about. People are going to think and feel whatever they want to, reprimanding him will probably have a more adverse affect upon someone who may be lost, and was looking for a place to worship God. Pastor Morris's words may have moved someone to turning their life back to serving God. Many walk away from the church because they do not understand nor agree with certain doctrines associated with "church". Pastor Morris's presence showed Christ-like behavior, as opposed to church doctrine. Matthew 18:20 says it best, "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them" (KJV).









2 comments:

  1. Simone you brought up some very important topics from the reading. I agree with your final reflection that as a Church we need to be working together to be spreading the Gospel of Christ, which was a Gospel of inclusion and healing. What meaning does our idea of Church take on when we think about these two terms of inclusion and healing. This is something I was thinking about as I read your reflection. How we do live out our catholicity in a way that brings everyone to the fullness of who Christ is and who God intends us to be as Church...The readings from Rausch resonated with me in this regard, "A church that excluded others on the basis of race, social status, or culture would not be catholic" (140). He also goes on to say on page 142 that a in order to claim fullness of catholicity we need to include other churches in that fullness. I find myself reflecting on how I can enter into this fullness through engaging in interfaith dialogue. I have been a part of faith groups within the Archdiocese of New Orleans but they were not interfaith groups and I think that is one thing that would enrich my understanding of catholicity and bring me to a deeper meaning of what church is about in its fullness. Faith is such an intimate and deep part of ourselves but it is also something that many of us share, and in my experience, sharing faith and beliefs also strengthens our understanding of Church and helps us to better understand one another in faith. This understanding of catholicity is not one I had studied before and so it has produced a lot to reflect on in terms of what it means to be a catholic church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose I appreciate your question about living out our catholicity in a way that brings everyone to the fullness of Christ. I think that this particular question is so important to consider, especially if we claim “catholic” as part of our creed. It’s refreshing to know that Lumen Gentium has a very real perspective on this idea in recognizing there are those who are members of the faith, those who are Christian, and those who are outside of these definitions. Sullivan offered this gem of a reflection with regard to catholicity, which can be seen “as a gift and a realized universality” (87). It is apparent that God’s will was catholicity for His Church all along, and it was indeed the Holy Spirit that makes this possible. Sullivan uses Paul as an example to demonstrate the work of the Holy Sprit using Paul to extend membership in the church to the Gentiles. This appears to be the first sign of the church exercising its catholicity by reaching out to people outside of itself. Reading further, Sullivan points out that the Holy Spirit also acts as a sign of catholicity in saying it shows “unity in diversity, opposite of uniformity” (Sullivan, 92). This is a beautiful image and reality for the Triune God. Diversity is an important dimension of wholeness, and is even pointed out in scripture 1 Corinthians 12, many parts and one body. In my ministry, I serve and work alongside people from many different faith traditions, racial and ethnic backgrounds, and socioeconomic status. I know that my life is certainly enriched by others who are different than me. I am happy to know the Catholic school I teach at welcomes this diversity. Though I am not sure what their experience has been, I hope they do have a sense of the catholicity of our faith while they attend our school.

    ReplyDelete