Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Breaking the rules?



Sometimes, I feel as if I have a split personality! I usually follow the rules – I stop at red lights; I try not to speed (much!); I generally respect authority; I don’t steal; I love God; I try to love others to the best of my ability. When it comes to the ‘rules’ often associated with church traditions and rituals, however, I find myself time and time again seeking a way to avoid them, run away from them, or simply ignore them. I wasn’t always this way, but the older I get, the more I don’t appreciate the ‘rules’ surrounding traditions. I’m in good company, however – Jesus didn’t either! Jesus healed and picked grain heads on the Sabbath (see Mark 2), among other ‘rules’ he broke. He often called the Pharisees hypocrites. They had lost the heart of the Law. The rules and traditions had become more important.

I love the Lord’s Supper (or Eucharist or Communion). But I wonder what it would be like if we returned to a simpler time, such as described by Justin Martyr (Cooke and Macy 88). Let’s gather around a big table(s) and share a meal together. Someone reads from the Bible and provides encouragement and a lesson. Prayers are shared, as are the bread and wine, in Christ’s memory. Songs of worship and thanksgiving are offered as well as tithes of money, time or belongings, each as they are gifted. All serve each other in whatever way God has blessed them. No rules on time, food or songs required, or even order of service. It would probably drive us all crazy! But I wonder, would it?? Or would we be blessed by the heart of the service – remembering Christ and what he did for us that Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday so many years ago.

One final thought - Cooke and Macy (103-107) outline the ‘Five Elements of Ritual’ that they believe are hallmarks of the Eucharist: Hermeneutic of Experience, Maturation, Presence, Service, and Friendship. If all of our Eucharistic celebrations, in the many faces of Christianity around the globe, have these elements, then why don’t we see more of Christ’s presence in the world from his followers? We should be flooding the planet with his love. To be sure, some are. But 2 billion of us?? Are we truly sharing the bread and wine in remembrance of him?

Cooke, Bernard and Macy, Gary. Christian Symbol and Ritual: An Introduction. New York: Oxford University Press, 2005. Print.

1 comment:

  1. The Disciples of Christ have similar take in some respects to what you describe as a "simpler time." In their effort to return to the Apostolic beginnings of the early New Testament Church, Disciples believed in a simple form of partaking of the Eucharist or Lord's Supper. As quoted in Johnson, one of the Disciples founders, Alexander Campbell was quoted as saying, as pertaining to the ceremony of the Lord's Supper, "There was no stiffness, no formality, no pageantry; all was easy, familiar, and cheerful" (247).

    ReplyDelete