Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Baptism - Only the Beginning

Baptism is a Sacrament that fascinates me because many Christian denominations celebrate baptism different (i.e. Priest baptizes baby, adult is baptized in lake). However, there is a common thread: Original Sin is washed away, and we are all now joined with Christ.  We must understand when baptism took place in early Christian times. According to DeWaal writes that Baptism began at “three o’clock on the afternoon of Good Friday” because at that time they were at the foot of the Cross with the vision of the crucified Jesus, vowing to renounce Satan and follow Jesus (44). 3:00 on Good Friday is of course the time that the Good Friday mass starts.  At this time people renounced Satan, counting this as part of their Baptism for when death would be overcome and Christ would rise (DeWaal 45).  Cooke and Macy would write that baptism occurred on Easter Vigil (72). Despite the differences of days, I feel that early Christians regardless would have seen Triduum as appropriate for baptism, because of how baptism can represent our joining with Christ in the Paschal Mystery.
Cooke and Macy first highlight St. Justin Martyr and how this saint felt that there was no minister for baptism because anyone who was worthy in Christ’s eyes could baptize someone else. Early Christians had a giant ceremony for Baptism on Easter Vigil – for those who were baptized. This occurred after lengthy instructional process in which adults learned about life and teachings of Jesus Christ. Eventually these prospective Disciples would have sponsors, or godparents, assist them in their growth and vouch for them to join the Church. Finally, they were baptized (Cooke and Macy 72-73). I found this interesting I have godparents who were there when I was baptized, as well as a sponsor for Confirmation. Reading about early Christian baptism reminds me more of the Confirmation process. In fact, I taught my students that while Confirmation and Baptism are traditionally given separately, at Easter Vigil, one can receive both Sacraments, on that night.
I also wrote about infant baptism because I know that while it is traditional in Catholic churches, many of my Protestant friends told me that they weren’t baptized until they were older. Why do many of us Catholics get baptized as infants? There are a few reasons. One reason is that because of high infant mortality rate, many families wanted to make sure their children washed away of their original sin. There was a fear that unbaptized people went to hell – even if they were infants! The other reason I found was because many parents felt that if a child were baptized, that child would be raised by parents and family who could teach him or her how to be true Disciples of Christ. When baptized and then raised in the environment to be enlightened about Jesus’s teachings, it’s easier for someone to understand (Cooke and Macy 76-77). However, others feel that people should be older and mature in their faith before baptism. This is why I understood Catholics celebrate Confirmation. This Sacrament was given to an older Catholic, who was anointed by Bishop to be strong in his or her faith, and spread the word of Christ while attaining his or her own Disciples (Cooke and Macy 78). This is how I’ve understood Baptism and Confirmation, and why I found it interesting reading Cooke and Macy, as well as DeWaal. All of these authors show a real understanding about the sacredness and development of Baptism and Confirmation. For me, it helped me understand and begin to formulate my own questions about how I would want my children raised in the Church when the time comes.



No comments:

Post a Comment