Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Understanding Prayer in Our Lives


As I have sifted through the readings, I have decided to focus on improving our prayers lives, and gaining a better understanding of what we are called to be. In the Lumen Gentium, it is written that we attain holiness through the grace of God when we answer the call by Jesus Christ, and by answering that call, “the universe itself…will be perfectly established in Christ” (72). This opening is so simple, but clearly points out only Jesus and His Father can create an ordered world, and that we play our role by saying yes. We are the children of God because we make it our goal to please Him. Though we may not know when He comes for us, we are ready to join Him at the end. To do this, we need to fight against the evils and protect ourselves with God’s grace (73-74).

This should sound easy to constantly live as good people. Just pray to God, reflect, and resist temptation. Truth is, we are tempted to not follow the teachings of Christ. Several singular cultures are eroding due to globalization, while religious violence persists in several nations. Christians in other countries cannot evangelize or fully practice their faith due to fear of punishment or harassment, particularly when they argue for social justice (Rausch 168). The media on a daily basis attempts to show us programs that can range from simply distracting to incredibly immoral, as well as emphasize that looks matter more than living our life for the Lord. How can we enjoy our pastimes but still keep ourselves focused on the purpose of pleasing the Lord?

This is why I enjoy reading Sockey’s Liturgy of the Hours. This book gives unlocks the information to increase our prayer lives. Before reading this book, I never put much thought into these prayers. However, as I began praying, I notice that these prayers are so full of rich scripture and text. Why don’t many people pray these on a daily basis to stay strong in faith – how come I only recently started? I love that Sockey writes we can pray the Hours when our schedule fits, because especially with a schedule as hectic as mine, she has given me hope and reassured me that God understands if it cannot be at the exact hours (45). She also sums up the Night Prayer nicely as a short one, one meant to simply complete our day and comfort us, and that each prayer ends with asking the Lord for a “restful night and peaceful death” (46). Now that I have read a little more about the Hours and what Sockey is asking, I have faith that from my own experience, the days I pray the Hours I feel more at peace, as if God is watching over me.


This post only begins to scrape the surface about how truly remarkable these prayers are. It never ceases to amaze me because that is what we request of God at the end of each Prayer; and I manage to feel His presence each time. These Hours and prayers help me gain a better understanding of where I’m meant to be. I reflect more about how I can be a better student, teacher, brother, son, grandson, nephew, servant, and friend, so I can someday be a great husband too. One who lives his life for the Lord as a way to honor his wife. These prayers help me understand the role Jesus plays in our lives and as well as resist temptation – ultimately, I grow as a better man. 



No comments:

Post a Comment