Tuesday, February 3, 2015

I appreciate everyone’s insights to the readings from Rausch. Most of you seemed to have pondered who has the authority in the Church; I however, wondered what should go through ones mind when deciding if he or she should take an authoritative role in the Church and what that role should be.

Rausch notes that in the second and third centuries, the clergy “were not yet distinguished from others in the community, either by dress or special privileges” (102). They were ordinary citizens with leadership roles in the Church. It was not until Constantine’s reign in 313 C.E. and later that the authority (clergy) of the church began to wear distinctive clothing and had ornate vestments. To be a member of the clergy today, however, one is distinguishing himself as a sacramental leader in the Church.

In my own vocational discernment, I joined the Jesuit Novitiate (what better way to decide?) While thrown into silence for a 30-day silent retreat, I began to imagine myself as a Jesuit priest. I would prayerfully daydream about my daily life. I distinctly remember imagining having a family party after my ordination, saying my first mass, and celebrating a marriage for a friend. God quickly pointed out to me that my imaginative prayers were all about one-time celebrations. I did not find myself joyfully celebrating the mass with my congregation, listening to confessions of parishioners, or anointing the sick members of the community. Would I really enjoy the daily life of a priest? Perhaps I was not called to be a priest! I immediately informed my novice master and spiritual director that I may be called to be a Jesuit brother.

In a practical sense, by providing clergy with a special garb, they are identifying themselves as sacerdotal ministers. It is not an easy calling, but one that is needed to continue the leadership first handed to the apostles.


On a side note, after 18 months of discernment in the novitiate, I realized God was not calling me to be a Jesuit at all; however, I have no doubt that God wanted me to spend that time with the Jesuits so that I could figure out that I was called to married life.

Rausch, Thomas P. Towards a Truly Catholic Church: An Ecclesiology for the Third Millennium.     
Collegeville, MN: Liturgical, 2005. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment