Tuesday, January 20, 2015

What is church (ekklesia)?



There was a lot of information to sort through in the readings this week.  It was no surprise to me that my emotions were affected by the beautiful scripture readings with the many references to Jesus and the building of what we have come to think of as church (ekklesia).  In his book, “Towards a Truly Catholic Church” Thomas Rausch points out that “The New Testament gives us first, the word for church, ekklesia” (46) which “can mean the local congregation or church as well as church in a universal sense” (47).  I was particularly drawn to his description of the mission of the church as “that of Christ, to reveal God’s love through Word and sacrament and to be itself a sacrament or instrument of the communion of all people with God and with one another” (46).  At this point on my spiritual journey, this description rings true for me.  In retrospect, I can see how my own vision of “church” has changed as I have grown-up, both literally and spiritually. 

In the 50’s and 60’s the church was to me as Dulles describes in his “Models of the Church” church as Institution, “the view that defines the church primarily in terms of its visible structures, especially the rites and powers of its officers” (30).  When I reflect prayerfully, I can see how over the years, the work of the Holy Spirit has moved in both the church and in me to broaden this vision of ekklesia. 

Today, when I think of “church” I perceive it as “Paul’s most powerful metaphor for church” (Rausch 57) “the Body of Christ.”  My view encircles all elements of what church has become for me - the tradition and guidance of the institution, the faith sharing and love of the community, the role of steward and servant that comes out of discipleship, the graces that flow from the sacraments, and the mission to continue growing in love as I carry the gospel message of Christ into the world.
LumenGentium describes Christ as “the head of the body which is the church.”  “He continually distributes in His body, that is, in the Church, gifts of ministries in which, by His own power, we serve each other unto salvation so that, carrying out the truth in love, we might through all things grow unto Him who is our Head”.

As I minister to others in the context of spiritual direction, it becomes obvious to me that people can often be stuck in a certain vision (or model) of what the church is for them or what the church should be.  Spiritual direction can help them to cultivate an expanded view of “church” which encompasses the strengths of all Dulles “Models”.

Photo credit:  conciliaria.com

No comments:

Post a Comment