Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Church, Sacraments and Liturgy, 1-13-2015


Church, Sacraments and Liturgy
January 13, 2015


            I did not know that the Liturgy of the Hours is a public prayer of the Church, along with the Mass (Sockey, 11). I thought it a private prayer and am intrigued and pleased to learn about its practice that unites with others around the world (Sockey, viii). The Liturgy opens up the rest of the Bible in an organized format that invites the celebration and reflection of each day/evening.  In keeping the focus on “the praises of God” (Sacrosanctum Concillium, ch. 4, “The Divine Office,” 84), it turns or “returns” our attention to the holiness of every moment. It underscores Julian of Norwich’s “All is well.” Its form complements our human activities throughout the day/evening with nature’s flow from sunrise to sunset to moonrise. While recognizing the already busy-ness of each day, I look forward to incorporating it into my daily life.

            Vondey, People of Bread: “companion” = sharing bread together (42). What a beautiful image of bread as God “providing his companionship” to the Israelites and then, to all (45). “Companionship” nourishes both body and soul (44), thus making bread the “unmistakable symbol of the social nature of the people of God” (44).

            As a Eucharistic bread baker for my worship community, I am aware of the special blessing conferred on me in participating in this ministry. While I do not always succeed, I try to honor God and my community in attending to the Eucharistic bread preparation and baking when I am rested, gracious and grateful. I plan to add a baking prayer to my preparation “that recognizes God as ‘the nourisher and the Father of all’ (Vondey 46). My small role in the sharing of God’s companionship lets me extend and participate in God’s hospitality to a small part of the world (Vondey 101-02).

No comments:

Post a Comment